Wheelchair Vans for Senior Care Facilities
The U.S. population is aging rapidly. According to the Health and Aging Policy Fellows, by the year 2030, 71 million Americans (about 20% of the U.S. population) will be 65 and older. Although these estimates vary, today, older adults account for a substantial proportion of ambulatory adult primary care visits, home care visits, and nursing home residents. A lack of access to transportation options will have a profound impact on older adults’ quality of life.
Further, research indicates that older individuals who are no longer able to drive attend fewer medical appointments, go shopping and go out for meals less often. They slowly reduce their visits to friends and family compared to drivers of the same age.
Providers of senior transportation must recognize the importance of quality-of-life issues and move beyond the limited goal of ensuring access only for those trips viewed as a necessity.
Social, recreation, leisure, civic engagement and other aspects of connection should be valued as essential components of community living. Opportunities should exist for older adults to access transportation to these types of activities as well as to the doctor and the grocery store.
United Access has been in the business of providing wheelchair vans for Senior Care Facilities and staff transportation needs for more than 25 years. Wheelchair accessible vehicle options have grown considerably with new options to consider every day. No longer are you limited to a large bus with few options or a cargo van with a wheelchair lift that can make life difficult for both your residence and staff alike.
You have options when it comes to wheelchair accessible vehicles:
- Lowered floor wheelchair vans with either side or rear-entry manual or power ramps (when you are transporting less than eight individuals and a smaller vehicle is preferred).
- Full-size wheelchair vans with a raised roof and raised doors that can accommodate several passengers as well as occupied wheelchair passengers.
- Full-size Paratransit raised roof vans to accommodate non-emergent passengers.
- Mid-size wheelchair vans which are economical to operate with ample interior heights and a multitude of lengths with side or rear-entry. These can include ADA compliant occupied wheelchair lifts to transport several seated passengers, occupied wheelchair passengers, or both. These midsize vans have nearly any fixed or movable seating configuration or floor plan you may need.
- Midsize wheelchair vans that incorporate a rear mounted manual ADA compliant ramp to allow for a multitude of fixed and movable seating and occupied wheelchair passenger options.
Interested in a wheelchair van for your senior living community? Our Mobility Specialists are experienced with the unique and special needs of Senior and Assisted Living facilities. Call us today at (877) 310-7621 or fill out our contact form and let United Access customize the right vehicle for your organization’s needs and expectations.